Thursday, July 22, 2010

Sherrod's steadfast motto

On the Baker County, Georgia, farm where the Miller family grew corn, peanuts, cotton and cucumbers and raised hogs, cows and goats, oldest daughter Shirley despised the work.

"I swore I would never have anything to do with a farm past high school," she said Wednesday with an easy chuckle. "I would talk to the sun as I picked cotton and picked cucumbers and worked out there in that hot field, and [say], 'This is not the life for me.' I didn't want to have anything to do with agriculture ever again."

On the night in 1965 when her father, Hosie Miller, a black man and a deacon at Thankful Baptist Church, was shot to death by a white farmer in what ostensibly was a dispute over a few cows, Sherrod -- then 17 years old -- changed her mind.
Master Degree

Master Degree
Master Degree
Master Degree
Master Degree
Master Degree
Master Degree
Master Degree
Master Degree
Master Degree
Master Degree
Master Degree
Master Degree
Master Degree

Master Degree

No comments:

Post a Comment